Monday 26 October 2015

road kill!

Although I have seen several instances of road-kill on this trip, they have so far been either too mangled, too old, or too large (a turkey and a goose) to salvage.

However, just outside of Tauranga Bay I came across a fresh, manageable rabbit.
As you can see the eye is still clear.

I wrapped the body in newspaper, and later skinned and gutted it at Whangaroa, then hung it in the van for 2 days - it was so fresh it attracted no flies!

At Taipa I met some locals who invited me to stay the night on their property, in return I shared my find with them - cooked in a can of tomatoes, with diced pumpkin and carrot, some ginger, and the Promite and beef stock I carry for making gravy.

See the video: 

                                                     https://youtu.be/H_ZHxwygeeU

No comments:

Post a Comment